Non-Toxic Fire Retardant
As of 2007 all mattresses are required to contain enough Fire Retardant to withstand a two-foot wide blowtorch open flame for 70 seconds. Nearly 90% of all mattresses on the market today use a highly toxic fire retardant because it is cheaper to manufacture. Poisons such as Boric Acid and Antimony are used to treat fabrics and covers to pass fire retardant laws in the mattress industry.
Hazardous Chemicals found in toxic Fire Retardants:
- Boric Acid (reproductive and developmental toxin, used as a pesticide)
- Antimony (causes heart and lung damage, possible carcinogen)
- Decabromodiphenyl Oxide (causes hair and memory loss, heart, lung and kidney damage possible carcinogen)
These highly toxic chemicals can seep though pillow and mattress covers and are absorbed through your skin while sleeping.